President Aliyev’s Recent Visit to Liberated Lands in Brief
Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev visited the country’s Goygol, Lachin, and Kalbajar districts to view the implementation of various infrastructure projects in the lands liberated from the Armenian occupation in 2020.
The eventful trip of the president, which took place on June 26, delivered a key message to both local and international communities about Azerbaijan’s large-scale efforts to rehabilitate the war-torn territories.
Caspian News briefs on the significant moments of President Aliyev’s visit:
- The president got acquainted with the construction of two tunnels as part of the Toghanali-Kalbajar highway leading to the liberated lands through the country’s western Goygol district;
- He viewed the progress of construction of the “Kalbajar-1” and “Chirag-1” Small Hydroelectric Power Stations, two of five small hydropower plants to be built in the Kalbajar district. The total power generation capacity of five plants is estimated at 27 megawatts;
- President Aliyev also attended the opening of the new Commando military unit in Kalbajar. The all-new unit is the third of its kind to serve in the liberated lands;
- He viewed the construction of the Kalbajar-Lachin highway, which connects the two districts liberated from Armenian occupation in 2020;
- The president’s next stop was the Gorchu power substation in Lachin. The 110/35/10 kV digital substation at an altitude of 1,800 meters above sea level is currently under construction. It will supply the Lachin International Airport, military units dispatched in the district, and the entire infrastructure to be built there;
- President Aliyev also viewed the construction of the Hakarichay water reservoir in Lachin;
- He then visited the construction site of the Lachin International Airport, the third cutting-edge airfield in the liberated lands to come online in 2024;
- The president has been presented the Kalbajar’s reconstruction master plan. He also laid the foundation stone for the Occupation and Victory Museums Complex in the district;
- In Kalbajar, President Aliyev also broke the ground for Kalbajar Digital Management Center and the Istisu Leisure and Resort Complex.
“We are rebuilding and will rebuild all our cities and villages from scratch, including those in Kalbajar and Lachin districts,” President Aliyev said in his speech while in Kalbajar.
“In other words, we are doing a thorough job – infrastructure work, hospitals, schools, residential buildings, cultural facilities, the restoration of our mosques, museums, airports, railways, and tunnels. It is impossible to list all the work we have done in just a year and a half. This shows that we are the owners of these lands,” he added.